View Single Post
Old May 22nd, 2002
shorebreak

Default The Thing Is...

Quote:

I have no qualms about paying for a piece of software if it did what it was advertised to do, no matter if it cost only a few dollars or hundreds of dollars. But, I'm definately not going to pay for something that is buggy, even if it only costs a dollar. I guess some people are more tolerant and are willing to pay, no matter how much hair they have to pull out...*L*...
... You paid for Windows didn't you?! And tell me is Windows always working? Is it even working o.k. compared to MacOS X or Linux? That makes you think (I hope)...

by the way: LimeWire is an open source project. this means everyone can look at, edit and compile the code... Without any spyware.

there are people who help making the code better by reporting bugs. and others use their programming skills to help out on the source.
SEE: LimeWire is not created by a greedy little company. In fact (as Taliban said before) the LimeWire developers are not even paid to do this. Sure some of them do have a Job at LimeGroup but they work on other things too. there are others who just do it for fun.

The questions asked (especially by the people who are always angry at the developers) are stupidious.
Alot of people post something like this:
I can't connect! Please help.
Or:
I downloaded 2.4 (non pro) and when I click on application I get the following box;

InstallShield
command line parameters
/L Language Id
/S Hide Initalize dialog
for silent mode use :/s
/v/qn
/vparameters to MsiExec.exe.....

Most of the time the problem lies in something else than Limewire. But it would still be helpfull to know what operating system one uses or which limewire version or if a firewall is running. because than it easier to help.
I would answer with something covering up the standard (non limewire) problems. for the first question a firewall (which I don't know if it is in use) might be the problem or the internet settings of the user or the ISP of the user. 2nd question. the installer was corrupted during the download. redownloading and installing will solve the problem...
See: Limewire has some couple houndreds source files with probably more than a million lines of code. If the error reports are not even as specific as to which operating system is used or when the problem occours no one can find the bug.

and I think the developers should not waste their time answering on the questions given above. because alot of people including me are doing this. and the developers stick to those error reports which include information about operating system and a precise error description.

AND most important if people blindly posting here would ever look around in the forums before they ask they would most likely not need to ask their question. because someone asked it before already. that would be faster for them and less time consuming for those who answer. if they don't get an answer it's just bad luck... or maybe we just got tired of the question. most people even get the always same answers on the always same questions - although it's all posted in the thread above...

If you like the so called 'support' for bearshare better - don't wait... get bearshare. it's a free world.

MAHALO