View Single Post
Old May 24th, 2002
gratis

I think limewire is the most stable (on mac os X) than it's ever been (since 1.7). The ability to download from multiple clients simultaneously is great. I have to say, it has major problems with transparancy -- os X folder graphics (and functionality) "mix" with limewire in strange ways.

I really would like to see what the changes are when I download a new version, as well as a "planned features" list. Some posts in a beta-terster forum don't really satisfy that fairly common-sense notification.

Taliban, you may not personally care about spyware and other bundled software, however a lot of people do. I care, mostly in principle, when things are installed on my system without my knowledge and perform actions the functions of which I don't know (how's that for net grammar).

Free LimeWire still uses topmoxie and cydoor, and does so without an opt-out.

If you don't know yet, when you go to a LimeWire affiliate website, TopMoxie slightly changes your browser's URL so that the affiliate knows that Limewire referred you there. Then if you buy something, limewire gets a cut of the money. This is fine if you got to the affiliate by clicking on one of the ad-banners or on the links in the LimeShop section of the LimeWire website.

However if you happen to visit an affiliate site on your own, limewire still gets the referral (even though they didn't really refer you).

Also if you get to an affiliate by clicking on some other site's ad banner, limewire gets the credit (and money) rather than the actual referrer.

That's not very nice. I still think LimeWire should get some permanent sponsors to cover their developers' salaries. Either that or develop a reasonably stable and fast client, then back off the development.