View Single Post
Old May 24th, 2002
Brain updates D/Ld on P2P

MacTerminator is flying high

Thankyou for brightening my day with your considered opinion Taliban The technique of a list of quotes followed by a curt, disparaging comment always amuses me. I have a few more points to make, though:

1. I am not "bitching" as I quite clearly stated that Limewire is the best client I have tried for Mac. In fact, I made several constructive suggestions which you or others may or may not agree with as is your privilege. I assure you that I regularly try other clients and that I will switch if I find a better one. Until then, I'll continue giving my opinion about Limewire and the way it is managed.

2. Flooding comes from irrelevant posts , repeated posts on the same subject and flame-wars that end up creating a thread so long that it's impossible to follow. I don't think my post falls into any of those categories (though I'm sure you'll find a way to disagree). Do any of yours?

3. I believe that any person who pays for a product or service has a right to give feedback or constructive criticism. Of course, the LW developers are busy and have no obligation to take all of these ideas into account. However, they would be well advised to consider repeated requests on the same subject.

4. Does a tiny bug fix that you might not even notice warrant downloading a new version? Yes, you can go to the forum to see the feature list but this information is not always helpful. It should be included on the update page and include platform specific issues. Other users have posted on this point - most recently:

http://www.gnutellaforums.com/showth...threadid=11422

5. If I have any specific doubt which is not covered in the forums, I ,as a paying user, can send PMs or e-mails to the developers. I can also join the Limewire mailing list as you said. In that sense there are no communication problems. But to find and understand specific information on this forum or Limewire pages takes (a) a lot of patience and (b) a degree of technical knowlege, which is why I made the point about an up-to-date FAQ. This would save a lot of time in the long-run by answering a lot of simple questions that otherwise end up 'flooding' the forum or being sent as PMs or e-mails to the developers or other members.

6. I have seen many posts recently relating to mouse wheel support and Cut & Paste, which (I now know) are Java issues. So a lot of users are confused about this point. All the developers would need to do is write a couple of lines in a read me file , for example: "Mac OSX - JRE 1.3.1 - no mouse wheel support or cut & paste." - not too demanding. Again, this would save 'flooding' caused by repeated questions on the forum in the medium-term. Asking a non-programmer to look at the JRE feature list on Sun's page and relate this to Limewire is unrealistic.

7. I think debates like Spyware/Adware are a valuable part of the forum. I have seen many people post that they have switched to other clients because of this issue - so it's something the developers need to be aware of. I agree with you that Moak seems slightly paranoid, and I said in my original post that I take what he says with a pinch of salt - that doesn't mean that everything he says is completely unfounded, though.

Last edited by MacTerminator; May 24th, 2002 at 02:03 PM.