Thread: *Having Fun yet
View Single Post
Old May 29th, 2001
Unregistered

Default Re: Found it!

Quote:
Originally posted by Vinnie
"I have never heard a pausible explanation for these encrypted messages from Vinnie to this date"

This was bull - or rather, the straw that broke the camel's back.

Why don't you go do your research again and find all the messages that preceding your posting which explain the messages.

Somehow, these were conveniently "left out".
Vinnie -

First I'd like to applaud you for not resorting to profanity and name-calling. It's a lot more mature than many of your recent posts.

Perhaps I was too harsh and went too far in that sentence. What I meant to say was that although you had explained what the encrypted packets were used for, I had never seen a plausible explanation of why you felt it *SO* necessary to use them in the first place. Today you finally gave an explanation for this. It is a business decision designed to give you a leg up on your competition. Now although I may not like what you are doing, you certainly have a legal right to do it, but I still don't support it.

Surely you can understand why deleting this post from the forum made me so angry, particularly since it came on the heels of your "heavy-handed moderation" comment and your threat to shut down the forum because you didn't like the fact that some of your users were unhappy with your tactics. And particulary since one of the main subjects of the post was these very threats.

I think at this point we should just agree to disagree. I really liked Bearshare. I think it's a really fine gnutella servent. I said that in my original post. But I don't like the direction you are taking Bearshare in and I will not support it. I will continue to urge new users to try out open source servents and I will do my best to explain why it is important to keep the gnutella network as open as it can possibly be.

I will also continue to urge you to reconsider what you are doing with Bearshare, and with the protocol. I don't think you will benefit from what you are doing in the long run, and it will only serve to fragment the network. I only hope you are mature enough to really consider what I, and others, are telling you.