View Single Post
Old May 29th, 2001
Gnutella Veteran

SRL is flying high
Default Right Vinnie...

This is really funny. Like Vinnie can talk about a client not playing nice. It's hilarious that after he unilaterally embraces and extends the Gnutella protocol, he can then complain that other clients don't follow suit. What next, is he going to complain that the other clients don't include spyware too?

This is especially funny because in my experience, past versions of BearShare strongly preferred to connect only to its own kind (although happily downloading from anyone). Vinnie insists he took this out many versions ago, but in testing I could still see it happening. Once BS connects to a few of its own kind, other clients will have a *very* hard time. Whether this is intentional or just do to some socket handling problem I don't know. Perhaps it's even fixed by now - I gave up on BearShare when it started forcing OnFlow on you. Still, as Vinnie refused to accept that it could be happening in the first place, I somehow doubt it.

Reall this is almost as funny as when Vinnie was talking about how some "poorly written" client was flooding the network only to later discover it was his own program screwing up the search TTL!