View Single Post
Old May 27th, 2002
Gnutella Muse

Freiluft is flying high
Default A Rose by any other name...

A few Limewire sessions will teach you a depressing lesson about permutations: a popular mp3 or vid will bear about as many names as host computers -- with or without hypens, dashes, parentheses, capitalization and bad spelling. While Limewire can group these files as identical, once the download begins, you are locked into that name. You download half of a larger vid under one name, can't find that name after the host goes offline, so you download another, or the "smart" download simply connects to another host, and you see the 50% drop to 0%. I think the highest number of names I had for one video was seven. This makes for a lot of useless clutter in the library.

Now if Limewire is smart enough to recognize these files as identical on the front end, why not with resumed downloads? Just a little button saying "Same file" would do. Since I assume downloads are resumed by finding the last completed hex code of a file, why couldn't it do that for files identical except for variations on the names if you tell Limewire to do so?