View Single Post
Old May 30th, 2001
Novicius

erdunbar (Eric) is flying high
Default Mac OS X: Installer woes

Hello all Mac OS X users out there: I am running LimeWire 1.4 under Classic mode quite happily (though, it seems that under Classic or OS 9.0.4 LimeWire 1.4 freezes for no apparent reason after some time).

I cannot get the OS X installer downloaded from www.limewire.com to work. It downloads successfully. Then, I move it into its own folder, open the terminal app and type ./LimeWireMacOSX.sh (permission denied) or sh LimeWireMacOSX.sh. Certain commands tell me I don't have the power (why people would ever enjoy a CLUI is beyond me (I've been a Mac USER since 1984... no typing for me to run them. And, when I run sh Lime... it tells me directories not found plus a few other errors.

[localhost:~]
[localhost:~] erdunbar% ls
Desktop Documents Library Movies Music Pictures Public Sites
[localhost:~] erdunbar% cd desktop
[localhost:~/desktop] erdunbar% cd lw
[localhost:~/desktop/lw] erdunbar% ls
LimeWireMacOSX.sh
[localhost:~/desktop/lw] erdunbar% ./limewiremacosx.sh
./limewiremacosx.sh: Permission denied.
[localhost:~/desktop/lw] erdunbar% sh limewiremacosx.sh
Preparing to install...
resolveLink: command not found: dirname [4]
resolveLink: command not found: dirname [4]
limewiremacosx.sh: command not found: dirname [895]
limewiremacosx.sh: cd: no such file or directory: [895]
limewiremacosx.sh: command not found: grep [930]
[localhost:~/desktop/lw] erdunbar%

I also downloaded the installer image but didn't find that a satisfactory solution as the program crashed and the settings were all funny.

What to do? A request from the LimeWire programmers: please make an installer for OS X users that doesn't require UNIX knowledge. Granted, there are *nix geeks that came over from the darkside who love this typing stuff, but, the bulk of Mac users are command-line illiterate (we're not Windoze users afterall... well, ok, so they're OS illiterate too ), including the early adopters coming from previous version of Mac OS.

Once upon a blue moon I loved goofing off with UNIX commands when I had a mach UNIX account for e-mail and stuff. Now that there's a CLUI associated with my OS that's an entirely different story. Apple better do a better job of hiding the CLUI and making the permissions access problem disappear.