View Single Post
Old May 29th, 2002
Connoisseur

Treatid is flying high

Lots of files on the network are corrupted. Clicks and Pops are very frequently due to somebody ripping the music and not listening to it before posting (or listening and not caring) - most music rippers will not cope properly with scratched or dirty CDs if the error correction cannot fix the problem on the first pass.

Mixed tracks is a problem but not from the gnutella network as far as I am aware. These are probably files that have been brought across from the fasttrack network (old morpheus) which had a tendency to distribute such corrupted files.

I don't guarantee that there isn't a fault in the swarming code - but I have swarmed files that aren't corrupt and I know there are plenty of people sharing corrupt files...

In order to know that this is a LimeWire problem it really needs people to watch their downloads and make a note of whether a file is corrupt and whether that file was swarmed.

If such a tally shows that swarmed files are corrupt significantly more often then non-swarmed files then this can be reported as a bug. In the meantime, I think the simpler answer is there are people happily sharing corrupt files.

Mark