View Single Post
Old May 31st, 2002
Apprentice

0160 is flying high
Lightbulb forget any limeware (limewire freewire) and bearshare and anything else that isnt DC.

I have been spending some time on the DC network. I have been evaluating it for the last few days and believe it is the best thing since Napster!

You can download your free copy of DC by neo-modus at:
http://www.neo-modus.com/
or DC++ (banner less) from:
http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/
DC++ also has NO pop ups and you can hook up to multiple hubs simultaneously and thus search multiple hubs at once!
Note the only drawback on DC++ is it is discriminated from some hubs for reasons I am unaware of.
It could be that it puts an additional strain on the hub or that DC++ users by being on multiple hubs tend to be slower then others or that their slots are taken up faster since they are more visible by being on multiple hubs. I have seen some hubs limit the number of hubs a DC++ client, although welcome, may be connected to while attempting to connecting to their hub.

DC beats da heck out of BEAR SHARE, LIMEWIRE and other P2P network clients. This is a different type of network and while new to me it is already superior to others IMHO.

DC protocol still lacks some features found in other p2p clients like connection throttle, Segmented Downloading, Drag-and-drop links, and BearShare's built in website. It also is not without its bugs but like most p2p clients will continue to evolve.

Something really neat about this network setup is how anyone can quickly and easily setup their own hub and be their own HUB MASTER (The big boss man) . A very nice way to have the sources of many files made available.

Then link the hub up with a friends or some other existing hubs and watch your network grow. With the exception of neo-modus made Direct Connection client, this is a NO GREED file sharing concept which has proved to be faster and more open that Napster ever was. With so many privately ran hubs it is impossible to shut it down.

Another Tip: Do not share adobe ware as they are so far the only ones I know of with their own cyber police dept which actively search out those people who share their expensive software. I have yet to see or hear about them in any of the p2p or DC networks but I personally will not take the chance. I would rather give away microsoft all darn day then to fear the adobe police. One of my friends got caught while offering PhotoShop 5.5 to users over IRC on #cablewarez channel. He had to pay $1000 US dollars and spend some additional time doing some community service. Oh yeah, it was his parents that had to pay the money. They were not too happy about that as you could guess.

I will be running my own hub soon

Till then you can find me at:
"ALL4U"
hub address = IWANTMOVIES.dns2go.com
I am an OP there so if you cause any trouble I can kick ban ya booty out :-)
Everyone is REALLY nice there!

I will move my client to a different computer here real soon and so I will be leaving it online 7/24.

I have 25 Gigs of STUFF so far and growing by the minute. I will need to get a 120 gig hard drive SOON. I been connecting all my LAN shares to it to try to keep from running out of room on my main computer. With only 1 gig left it is a hard to keep up by un installing unwanted apps to free up more room.

My username is [0160] as I try to be fairly anonymous on these types of networks. Too many freaks online you know.

Suggestion: DO NOT put your real name in the settings. I have yet to have a problem. But I would not want to hear of any horror stories on account I suggested to try it out and someone was naive enough to enter their real name and end up being stalked or something. Even the email address is OPTIONAL which is pretty nice for those who do not like giving out their only email address in fear of being spammed etc. So far I have only received one email that I considered to be spam worthy.

The worst part of this network is the fact that so many OPs run these stupid scripts that look for key words and drop ya like a bad habit when they fine something that matches their criteria like "rape" "preteen" or a file name that would suggest you were sharing an installed file like an "ini" or "bat" file (so I can only assume since I have not been able to ask them after I was kick banned and ip banned all in a bloody second). The hub I am it will not do that and presently does not have a minimum share size. I have been unable to get into some places as they require you to have available 50 100 and in a few cases 500 Gigs to share with others. That is just sick!.

Well there are so many hubs that it is practically impossible to run out of sources for files and more files. Even with the Gnutella protocol based networks and those clients accessing them, I do not believe they can compete with these
Network Statistics:
Current Number of Users Online 89870
Total Data Available 2407.46 TB
Recent Peak Number Of Users 92345
Current Number of Hubs Online 1646

Correct me if I am wrong but this is greater than Gnutella Protocol based networks right?

Well that is my evaluation so far. I will probably take the source of DC neo-modus and rip out their banner and pop ups. I the system resources on my computer tends to drop more and more as time goes by while they keep the iexplore tied up. You can tell as I was not asked by the way I did not have to re login to a forum as my iexplore session never did actually close since DC was still using it in the background behind the scenes to display that stupid banner.

What would really rock is a client that does not do pop ups and could access BOTH Gnutella based networks and the DC based HUBS. Now THAT would be BRILLIANT!

Lastly, I can not wait for some Linux ports of these p2p and DC based clients and hubs for DC. That would be so sweet!

Last edited by 0160; May 31st, 2002 at 10:43 AM.