View Single Post
Old May 31st, 2002
Gnutella Jewel

sanelson is flying high

Quote:
Originally posted by ursula
The Browse function in BearShare, and LimeWire if I have this correct, is about to go bye bye.
I am sure that someone will come in here and correct this comment if I am wrong, but there are certain definite indications that BearShare will be omitting the 'feature'.
btw, this 'feature' consumes large amounts of bandwidth and it is not advisable to have it 'ON' unless you really do have the bandwidth allocated to support it. It is for sure a no-no for dial-up modem users.
The browse function, as we know it, is going bye bye. This is because Limewire is going to incorporate a new way to browse user's files, and Bearshare is going to follow suit. When this will happen, though, I have no idea, so we'll probably be without it for a while.

Quote:
Originally posted by Vinnie
It broke when I re-wrote uploads.

We probably won't be putting it back either, since there is a new GDF proposal from LimeWire for browsing the files belonging to a host (one that integrates itself into the search results rather than using Internet Explorer).

The LimeWire technique also works with firewalled hosts (where our web server feature doesn't).

We will still leave the web server feature in there in case anyone wants to serve HTML.