View Single Post
Old June 2nd, 2002
Connoisseur

cultiv8r is flying high
Default Re: Availability of good connections (Cable/DSL etc.)

These are approximates for my area (Eastern Pennsylvania, US)

Quote:
a) How much is the installation cost and monthly fee for each type of connection?
[list=1][*]Cable-modem service (300 Kbit - 1.5 Mbit+):
Installation is free for some, others require a fee such as $9.95 for a "Do-it-yourself" packet. Monthly fees range from $19.95 to $45.00 a month. Cable modem rental is usually an additional $3.00 per month.
[*]56Kbit Modem service:
No installation fees. 24/7 monthly service charges range from $4.95 a month to $29.00 a month. Free ISPs are becoming rare. Toll-free or 1-900 numbers are charged per minute.
[*]DSL service (64 Kbit - 2 Mbit+):
Installation is free for most. Some are charged if DSL line needs to be installed by telephone company. Monthly prices range from $29.95 to $300+ a month, depending on various options and DSL type.
[*]One-way Satellite service (400 Kbit):
Installation is free for most (do-it-yourself) or a $50-$100 installation charge for the dish. Service price range from $65 per month and up. Does not include dish ($199 minimum)
[*]Two-way Satellite service (500 Kbit):
Installation (+ equipment) $199-$499. Monthly prices between $99 and $169.
[*]ISDN:
I'm not aware of these prices. But they're higher than DSL or Cable modem service.[/list=1]

Quote:
b) What is the availability of high-bandwidth connections? (rural areas may often only have old exchanges offering dialup - if you're lucky)
One-way or Two-way satellite for rural areas, but most are getting cable modem and DSL access too now.

Quote:
c) Are these prices reasonable considering what the providers have to spend on investment and maintenance? (I'd like to hear from telecommunications experts on this one)
For Cable and DSL, yes, I think so. For modem, the higher priced ones ($19.95+) is too much. Technology cheaper, but people still pay the same price or even more as 5 years ago. Satellite service is new, so it'll be costlier too until more people will sign up.

Quote:
d) What is the penetration of high-bandwidth connections in your country and is it likely to increase significantly in the short or medium term? (another one for the comms boffins)
Well, most residential areas have access to low-cost high bandwidth connections. Rural sites may have access to the satellite services, but they don't come cheap. With prices for cable and DSL access dropping, it's becoming more popular to have broadband access instead of modem access.