View Single Post
Old June 1st, 2001
Novicius

erdunbar (Eric) is flying high

Quote:
Originally posted by lucx
Eric: yes there is a higher account level than "admin"...root

you can temporarily become the "root" user....OS X automically makes the root's password the same password that YOU chose when installing OS X the first time...

...ahhh the beauty of OS X's unix kernel.....a LOT of software will be easily recompiled to run on our superior (at least to Windoze) OS!!!!

Good Luck and Cheers!
Luc
Aloha Luc (Belgian?):

Merci buckets for the info re: root user. That su root (su=superuser?) clears up a bit of confusion. Yes, I have tried correct capitalisation (mentioned in one of the first posts). It gave exactly the same errors. The errors seemed to be installer-related. As for the UNIX kernel... I want it so bad now (OS 9 crashed 3 x this morning whilst I was fiddling with a disk image)... if only they'd made the GUI Mac OS 9-like I'd've been ecstatic (and made the GUI responsive rather than as thick as molasses on a cold January morning)!!!

PS if you can do a remote login to "root" with telnet/ftp services that's a beautiful security hole that could be exploited. Probably most people will, by default select no password on their main account (I certainly did and I will be livid if I ever have to use a password on my computer (I'm pissed off enough that Key-Chain under OS 9 doesn't work seemlessly but actually pops-up a password request the first time I try to access a network drive (and, of course, my keychain is not protected by password)). Thus, many a root login will not have a password on it ... hehehehe... if so, Apple, you screwed up!!!

Will try "su root" next time I feel like playing with OS X.

Eric.