View Single Post
Old June 8th, 2002
Unregistered

Unhappy Trying to Try LW Basic 2.4

I'm attempting to try LimeWire (Basic version 2.4) for the first time because I've heard such good things about it. Alas, I cannot get it downloaded or installed correctly. Please help if you can...

The facts:
- Computer has 96Mb RAM
- OS = MacOS 8.6
- Browser = Netscape 4.7 (Communicator)

When I hit the download button on the LW website (Free Installer for v. 2.4 LimeWire Basic -- Macintosh), I get a Mac error message panel saying something about "You have started to download the file LimeWireMac.bin of type application/octet-stream. Click More Info to learn how to extend Navigator's capabilities." or something like that.

If I hit the "More Info" button - it takes me to Netscape Plug-in finder page (but does not find a plugin!).

If I hit the "Continue" button - it starts downloading and I get something on my disk called "LimeWireMac.bin"

Is this it? --- When I doubleclick this file, it tries to open this with Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 and gives me the error message "Acrobat could not open LimeWireMac.bin because either it is not a supported file type or the file has been corrupted..."

So I am stuck.

I have Alladin StuffitExpander on my system. Should that be invoked? Why is Acrobat Reader invoked instead? I'm confused.

Please help if you have a clue. Thanks.