View Single Post
Old June 14th, 2002
Connoisseur

cultiv8r is flying high

... But to be fair, here's a response to where I see when someone can be called "Gnutella Developer" or not.

There are a number of people that have written Gnutella clients, but never released it. Think about students that needed a Gnutella client for a school paper, or those who just want their custom built client for whatever purpose. Those, IMO are developers too.

Then there are those who don't have their own Gnutella client, but do help a bit with some development of an Gnutella client. Say, those who are working on LimeWire or Gnucleus' open source versions. They may just be doing the GUI, an "about box", or a little bit of the internal code. And those are developers too.

And then there are those who work on the protocol itself, but don't have their own client or are actively working on somene else's. They provide documentation for Gnutella, propose new features with pseudo code (etc). Those I call developers too. An example would be Gordon Mohr of Bitzi - he doesn't have his own Gnutella client, but he has put in a tremendous effort to get the HUGE proposal going - and most others that do have a client, are actually implementing that. This particular "developer" isn't a "developer" in the deepest sense. But they *do* develop Gnutella, just in a way we usually don't associate "developing" with a protocol or application.

As for me, as you know, my client hasn't been released yet. I do develop one, but just isn't available for many others to play around with. Does that mean I can't cary the "developer title" - in my opinion I can, but that's up to you I guess. But I've also participated in a number of proposals (such as the common X-Try header, the proposed queue, the proposed connect-back [which is implemented in another client too] and a few other smaller things), and I am helping putting the Gnutella RFC together so it can be submitted to the IETF so it will be a true public-domain protocol (which has many benefits for Gnutella developers).

That's where I would draw the line. "Developer" is a very broad word.