Thread: Hash
View Single Post
Old June 16th, 2002
Gnutella Aficionado

Taliban is flying high

Not to mention that LimeWire doesn't make use of hashes yet. - So far LimeWire won't recognize identical files with different file names, even if their hashes are the same. - If you want to change that, simply change the getFile() methods in IncompleteFileManager.java, so the filenames for incomplete files would be based upon their SHA1-hashes instead of their names and sizes.

- I tried that this weekend. It didn't help my download experience very much, since some 75% of all files aren't hashed yet. Once this ratio reverses (with the transition of Morpheus to a newer Gnucleus codebase, I hope this will happen soon) LimeWire could easily use hashes to verify two files are identical.

For the search view, you'll have to change the TableLine.java ( the matchInternal() method), but I found that grouping just files with identical hashes is too restrictive and everything else that could be done without completely rewriting the grouping mechanism didn't show much effect since most of the files simply aren't hashed yet.

AlternateLocations are also just collected yet but not actively used.