View Single Post
Old June 18th, 2002
Unregistered

Default This is Critical to Limewires Future

One thing that protects a P2P organization is that you can't pinpoint a place of ownership. I am not sure how safe Limewire is now with the staff doing maintence. But now, if you start doing other administrative activities such as collecting fees, you are establishing a location that can be attacked and can be associated to certain people, and may well provide the means to associate hundreds of other individuals. Nowdays, with our automation, a plantif need not stop because of such numbers of people, everyone could be included in actions. So members take note, what is decided here impacts your security, which would give you cause to assess your membership/participation depending upon the decisions made and assurances provided from Limewire.

Of course even now you have the issue of where does the income from the ADs go. A trackable item. Let's be clear, your not going to convince anyone that the only thing that goes on with this P2P is people sharing files they own themselves, where there is not License issues or copywright issues. And even if Limewire has a contract that says "We are giving you this Knife but it's your issue if you use it to cut anything" isn't going to protect them either. It hasn't protected others.

So LineWire would do well to assess there situation now and in the future depending upon any decision they make.

I'm sure they have. I'm surprised they are not sharing more about all that so of things I have covered. After all it impacts every participant of Limewire.

I just see a central server for "The Business" forming.
And that ain't good for a P2P.