View Single Post
Old June 18th, 2002
Apprentice

fireforce is flying high

I too am interested in doing the same thing. I have also found many probs with it. From what I see, I dont think VB is fast enough to do all the work needed without putting a huge drain on the system. The only way I can see is to write a DLL that does alll the hard work, but that would require C or C++. You and me are in the same boat. Right now I am pushing my VB6 and database training to get a job and dont have the time right now to learn a new language.

As for the two VB gnutella projects I found, neither work. Vbgnutella is garbage. And Coyotella although it will run, wont connect. I got one connection one time and lost it a second later. Never got it back.

VB itself just doesnt seem powerful enough for this kinda work. Al least not by itself. To make a VB friendly environement someone would have to write a VBGnu control that would plug right in to a VB app just like you plug the winsock control into one.

VBs threngths seem to be in databases, office and/or corporate apps. But from what I hear about VB.Net that may be changing.