View Single Post
Old June 19th, 2002
Apprentice

cloudwatcher is flying high
Unhappy It IS Gnutella now

Quote:
Originally posted by ursula
In fact, it is not Gnutella anything.
It is an individual or company who happen to be "sharing" this garbage on the Gnutella Network. They also happen to be sharing this same garbage on WinMX and eDonkey, as well.

So, please don't think of these things as of the Gnutella Network.
I'm afraid I can't agree with you. These are not the result of normal sharing like you or I would do. It seems to be the result of someone purposely hacking the Gnutella network to disseminate their offal.

Since the hit you get is always EXACTLY the same as the search you entered, my guess is that they have constructed some kind of custom server software that uses the Gnutella protocol. For any query it receives, their application generates a positive hit by combining the query string and some other string like ".MPG" and ".URL". Then if someone takes the bait and goes to download the file, their server sends out one of its "payload" files using the constructed name.

None of the regular Gnutella clients could pull this off, and it's just not possible that these dolts are sharing files with names that correspond to EVERY possible search query.

As for the IP address of the spammer(s), there are now dozens of them. The latest update to Gnucleus has a list of them and it now supports blocking them! There are 44 IPs on the list so far. Some of them repsond with your search plus MPG and URL, some of them respond with "secret paysite passwords" plus your search, and there are other combinations as well.

It seems one or more versions of this custom software is now making the rounds among the lowlife scumsucking leeches of the net, being traded or sold in the fetid, stagnant pools of reeking filth where these creeps brew their sleazy marketing schemes.

Since Gnutella is an open source protocol, you get the good with the bad. Anyone can write a Gnutella client - but anyone can also abuse the protocol for their own ends. That's what these stinking orifices are doing. And now that they've crashed the party, they'll never leave. We'll just have to learn to ignore their offensive odor, the same as we've had to do with their spam in e-mail and their pop-up ads on the web.