View Single Post
Old June 21st, 2002
Pater Familius

Moe Szyslak is flying high

Kath,

I hope I'm not becoming a nudge, but I wonder if you can fill in the blanks on some of the information I've read about Limewire and Gnutella:

According to the Limewire description of how Gnutella works, Computer A, (me) and Computers B, C, D, and E are all on the Gnutella network (I assume that Morpheus works similar to and with Gnutella.) A announces to B that it's alive, and B lets C, D, and E know that A is alive. By this same chain-like process, I can search the network for files, and once someone announces that they have the file I'm looking for, I establish a direct HTTP connection to their computer and download the file. If they're behind a firewall, I send a Push request, and if they choose, THEY establish an HTTP link with me.

At least that's how it seems to work to me.

Anyway, back to how this ties into Limewire: When I click on the Connections Tab, I see three or more IP addresses under Hosts. If I'm Computer A (as described above) are these "Hosts" Computers B, C, D and E? If not, what are the "Hosts"?

Also, why wouldn't one want to be connected to 100 or 1000 Hosts? Wouldn't that maximize my chances of finding a file I'm searching for?

Thirdly, what is "Ultrapeer"? It's described in the User Manual as a way of helping users with slow connections. Does that mean that I'm helping someone with low bandwidth when we're transferring a file to each other, or is my DSL bandwidth going to some kind of "bandwidth wishing well" that slower users can draw from whenever they need it (regardless of whether we're HTTP connected and sharing files)?

Also, sometimes the Hosts display a Status of "Incoming" and sometimes "Outgoing". What does that mean?

Sorry to dump all of these questions in your lap, and I understand if it's more than you're willing to deal with, but it seems like every time I find a resource, it generates more questions for me!

Thanks again!
C