View Single Post
Old June 3rd, 2001
Unregistered

Talking Re: observations from 1st time user

Quote:
Originally posted by octopus
I'm here preparing for a life w/o Napster.

Over the last few hours I've read docs and opinions on websites, forums and newsgroups about Gnutella. I decided to try gnotella, limewire and bearshare in that order. So far I've installed and used only gnotella.

Here's what I think:
"It's not Napster but it's useable."
+ Ok GUI, It's "skinnable" too.
+ Title searches are fast
+ I like the "Spy" and "Monitor on" feature that shows what others are searching: you guys are SICK!

- I'm not sure how to duplicate the "Browse User" feature of Napster where you can browse a like-minded peers share
- I'd like to be able to check the MP3's bitrate before I download it. Should be easy to do as this metadata is available.
- Gnutella uses are not very nice. Too many seem to hide behind firewalls.

To compare "gnutella" to Napster I decided to find a file I had problems locating in Napster. I failed but it could be that I don't have the right name.

Next I tried to download a common song. I choose "B**tles - Y*st*rday". (Wasn't that voted most popular somewhere). Found a few hundred sites willing to share. Most were behind a firewall :-( I choose a non-fw site and started downloading.

Everything was going great until the connection was "killed by the other side" but all in all I can work with this. (Like I have a choice.)

Sampson
Don't worry, you're not the only one who is finding files without napster, a big pain in the ***! I've never seen the like & I tried bearshare, gnucleus, limewire & gnotella-the latter of those 4 is the only one where I can actually get a file or 2 down-& as far as the rest go...well, I can't use the words I'd like to!

I really have a problem with the "+avail" behind a firewall...hell-o! How can a file be both???!!! I guess free file downloading just ain't what it used to be *sigh*

Good luck...you're gonna need it!

Last edited by Lord of the Rings; April 14th, 2008 at 09:06 AM.