View Single Post
Old June 22nd, 2002
Enthusiast

Theala Sildorian is flying high

I had a problem when I switched from OS 9 to OS X that the program seemed very sluggish when switching tabs. Tweaking the window buffer memory and increasing the RAM for Limewire helped immensely. I made the following changes:

1) I changed the window buffer that allocates memory for saving the contents of each window. I found this hack in the April 2002 of MacAddict. Go to Library>>Preferences and open com.apple.windowserver.plist in TextEdit (MacAddict recommends using Psuedo to do this, or you can open Terminal and use the sudo command because if you screw up this hack you can damage your OS). Be sure to make a copy of the file before you change it in case you mistype something and have to change it back.

Then look for the FIRST <dict> tag, return down a line and copy in the following:

<key>BackingCompression</key>
<dict>
<key>compressionScanTime</key>
<real>5.000000000000000e+00</real>
<key>minCompressableSize</key>
<integer>8193</integer>
<key>minCompressionRatio</key>
<real>1.100000023841858e+00</real>
</dict>

Save the file and restart your computer.

2) Changing the memory Java uses when running Limewire requires a simple change to the runLime.sh file in Applications>>Limewire:

java -mx128M -ms128M -jar RunLime.jar

This line has to be pasted into the file to replace the original line (in my file, it was the last line of the file).

USE WITH CAUTION! I am not a programmer. I tried this and it works great--but I make no guarantees. I advise you to read up on this before you do it, and ask questions of people more knowledgeable than me if you are unsure.

Good luck!