View Single Post
Old June 25th, 2002
Ringwraith

Abaris is flying high
Thumbs down Secure Channels: Disappointed.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaapeli in Bearshare Labs
It will use authentication methods to make sure that the other end is also using BearShare. If you wish, you can choose to receive all query replies, downloads and uploads only from other BearShare clients. Then you can be sure that you aren't wasting your bandwidth to bogus or corrupted files.
Quote:
Originally posted by Vinnie in Bearshare Labs
Combined with our new EULA, it will also make sure that companies can't log your IP address information and combine it with a catalog of your shared files in order to send you cease and desist ISP letters.
This is not quite what I've expected.

First, it's not a technical solution but a legal one. whatever authorization methods are used, I'm sure they can be circumvented. the authorization handshake can be logged, if there's a digital key inside the servent it can be extracted, and will sooner or later.

Second, it only works because bearshare uses closed code. this is no offense against closed source products, but i'm sorry that it is not a possible solution for open source servents.

Third: You can choose to receive all query replies, downloads and uploads only from other BearShare clients?? did i understand that correctly??? the word blackhole is known to you, isn't it??? man, you're really provoking the next flamewar...the only reason why those anti-clustering folks are silent now is because they were told that clustering is not a bad thing as long as the servents respond to queries from outside the cluster...if this feature was enabled by all of your users gnutella would be only one last tiny step away from a private bearshare network: stop connecting the cluster to the gnutella environment, for it is not interested in their messages anyway...i took it for mere conspiration theory, but i get the impression that you are really moving in that direction, one step with every major release. do you want that? i thought you didn't...