View Single Post
Old June 26th, 2002
Unregistered

Default way to change connections / increase network horizon

it seems that most of the time, i get VERY low hit rates on my searches, and other times (searching for the same string) i'll get incredibly high scores. E.g., search for 'shrek' video: right now, i get about 35 hits in the first minute of the search. other times, i've gotten up to 1000 hits in the same time frame. Is it possible to be stuck in a network 'backwater' (have a very limited horizon), or is it my imagination? If so, could we have a button that says 'connect me to some new hosts'?
I realize that you're trying to keep things simple, but from what i've seen, the users could even handle an optional screen (i.e., newbies would never need to see it, but users could get to it through a couple of menu clicks) on which they could see the hostcounts on each of their connections, then choose to disconnect from hosts that aren't pulling their weight (a la limewire). I think that xolox has the best feature set available right now, i just think that it doesn't have to be as 'dumbed down' as it is right now. thanks VERY much, and keep up the great work!!!!!

BigF