View Single Post
Old June 28th, 2002
BearShare Developer

Vinnie is flying high
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Secure Channels: Disappointed.

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgwen
Ah I forget Vinnie need some features that others donīt have, he has to sell his $19,95 client - and donīt tell me now anything about the Spyware version...
You mean the one where everything is opt-out?

Quote:
Do you think the open source clients, or the non-commercial clients will act this way?
While I admire open source, and while I firmly believe that BearShare will be open source in the not too distant future (after some rather challenging problems that have been pointed out get solved), it is unfortunate that open-source Gnutella servents have a critical vulnerability - they cannot implement secure security features.

Quote:
What do you think will happen if Vinnie proceed this way? I think the commercial clients will start to block each other, this will destroy the Gnutella net, nice future!
Not to worry - if the situation gets out of control we will move the secured features to a second, parallel private Gnutella network and give users the option of operating on either one. The "regular" Gnutella network (open source, vulnerable to spammers) will be freely supported by our public.bearshare.net host cache, and the "secure" Gnutella network (read: proprietary BearShare network until we can figure out how to open it up without allowing it to be attacked) supported by a private anchor server which accepts no incoming connections and cannot be attacked.