View Single Post
Old June 29th, 2002
Gnutella Muse

mrgone4662 is flying high
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Secure Channels: Disappointed.

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgwen

You know security within the bearshare net and within the Gnutella net is an illusion, the developers should find the best way for the whole net...
I don't think dismissing the potential for security on gnutella is necessarily going help anything. Even if it can't be worked out it's worth a shot. And just from the surface knowledge (read "underlying concepts") I have of encryption and validation techniques I do know there are ways to increase security dramatically in a proprietary system (such as bearshare's secure channels).

I'm doing the best I can to see if these concepts can be applied to something like gnutella without giving so much control to a governing body like the GDF that, given something like a court order, they could shut the network down (as could happen with revokable certificates).

It's a tough problem to tackle and I'm probably not going to be the one to solve it, but I'm not going to dismiss the possibility.

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgwen
He should be fair and leave the net if he thinks that Gnutella isnīt secure enough but he needs the Gnutella net as a leeching pool!

Mrgone there is no exuse for such actions...

Morgwen
Um, Morg.. in one breath you just complained about the split and in the next you just advocated BearShare leaving Gnutella.. that's what the split is dude.