View Single Post
Old June 30th, 2002
StephenH

Default Spoof File Preventiton features

I find it sad that the RIAA and MPAA are now trying to flood P2P networks with spoof files, that look like songs and moviesbut are not. Instead, they contain silence and 30 second repeats of audio.

I have given this some thought, and here are some things that could counter their "spoof" and "interception" attacks.

1) To counter their "spoof" attacks, add a rating feature where users can rate files.

2) I also suggest a feature that can block files from being indexed with certain checksums. A spoof files checksum is likely to be much different than a real songs checksum.

To counter the proposed "denial of transfer attacks", I propose a system that a user can block certain IP or Mac addresses from beign indexed, or connecting to, or getting directory searches.

Also, a system of four requests maximum for the same file from the same computer, should also ban their IP, and download and IP input proirity should be given to other hosts.

3) To counter the "intercept" technique, would take some encryption on the transfers and/or directory system, so the automated dectors could not filter the search or file being transfered. I suggest each machine having a different key that is random.