View Single Post
Old July 3rd, 2002
Cleaning Lady

ursula is a great assister to others; your light through the dark tunnel

Hey GregorK, how ya doin'?

For you guys, it might seem a bit lame, but it isn't... start by checking out the Gnucleus 'Manual'.....
The recommendation there of 50KBps minimum UP for operating as an Ultrapeer is REAL MINIMUM...... Broader is better.... If 50 is your limit than that means NO other operations being performed.... i.e. you are not using your machine for anything but acting as Ultrapeer.
In real world practice your UP bandwidth capacity should be even higher... MUCH higher.
If Vinnie and John Marshall and Mike Stokes and others include higher default requirements to be met in order to operate as an Ultrapeer, than they should be respected as leaders doing something extremely positive for Gnutella Network.
Anything which serves to deny inappropriate Ultrapeers is beneficial to all of us.
There is no 'status' implied by acting as an Ultrapeer and it is not something that should ever be encouraged to be tried by those who do not have the minimum adequate resources.

btw, ME will easily handle the 'load' of being an Ultrapeer, but not if it is a typical ME installation with corrupted files and ridiculous IE and Virtual memory settings... Meaning, you must not operate with the M$ defaults, but with what is actually best for your machine.

So, really, we are talking about someone who has a real... REAL Upload capability (expressed in the silly big pretty numbers way) of a clean 512kbps and REALLY short ping time all over the place, not just to some magic address that makes it all look good...... I mean ping times with Australia!
And that is not published 512.... That is REAL 512 that is needed and with no activity - no browsing - no file sharing - Just Ultrapeering! Those who play at being Ultrapeers with lesser resources are helping no one.
Did someone mention Morpheus?