View Single Post
Old July 3rd, 2002
Gnutella Veteran

tshdos is flying high

Quote:
>> Subjective- I've tried to avoid some of the horrible garish GUI's I've seen. In actual fact the GUI uses the latest XP common controls.
I just personally don't care for a completely "tabbed" application.
Also, just because it uses the latest XP common controls doesn't mean it is better
The interface is better than some that I have seen but I have also seen alot that I like more. Shareaza actually allows you to select which type of view to use.

Quote:
>> The latest build has a list edit box which contains pending searches, you can also cancel a search from here.
But does it close the tab that shows the results? That is very annoying. IMO cancel search should just stop the search ( stop displaying hits etc ) but leave the tab open. The tab should have a close button/menu option/something.

Quote:
>> By design since sorting as hits arrive can dramatically slow down searches that return hundreds or thousands of hits in small groups. Perhaps a compromise to do an option to turn automatic resorting on.
I don't really see how this can dramatically slow down the searches. You have a sorted list and when you add the new item to the list you have to give it an index anyway. It may slow down the speed at which items are added to the list ( which is what I think you mean ) but a user wouldn't notice anyway because there is no guarantee that N results will be displayed in T time. I agree that an option may be the best idea because I know not everyone sees things as I do.

Quote:
>> Meta information is displayed in the tooltip. I will add this to the list view also. As for client speed, I could add this for informational purposes, but in my experience it is pretty much meaningless because so many other factors affect d/l speed.
Agreed, but personally I like to try the (apparent) fastest hosts first and the (apparent) slowest last. Besides, if you already have the information available and it is basic information, why not add it?

Quote:
>> If this is the worst problem you can think of, it certainly puts the rest of your complaints in perspective
Just annoying. Some other clients have the option to do this but it is an OPTION. I leave my computer running full time but I had to restart a few days ago and after logging in QeerPeer started up. I went through all of the options to try to find where this was set and even uninstalled and reinstalled to see if I missed anything. I just dislike programs that assume I would like it to startup when the computer does without asking or at least telling me. ( This includes programs that just add an icon to the system tray ). Anyway just hoping you could add an option to remove/add the "Start on load" feature.

Quote:
>> Woah, a positive comment. Funny thing is I had another guy (as vehement as you) wax lyrical about how much he hated the charts. As for the chart control's origin, I guess you would code everything yourself in assembler
Sure why not... No, I just have fun coding stuff like that for the hell of it, even though it is "reinventing the wheel", so I have a personal dislike for commercial controls.

Personally I think the charts are better than any other client I have tested. It is nice to be able to glance at them every once in a while just to see what is going on rather than having to read through all of the numbers and make a chart in your head ( which is sometimes useful ).

Quote:
>> I hope you're kidding.
Actually I wan't. I just wanted to know the "official" pronunciation for it.

I wish you much luck with your client. It has potential. I think it is a very good thing for there to be many clients. If there were to be only 1 or 2 clients then they would control how the network was run and that would/could be very bad.