View Single Post
Old July 3rd, 2002
Shareaza Developer

Shareaza is flying high

If anyone is consistently getting really bad performance (particularly CPU or memory-wise), and your files haven't all been hashed yet (i.e. there are still some "gray" ones in the library window), I'd be very interested to hear from you.

Shareaza supports a very wide variety of file formats that it can acquire metadata from, with everything from mp3 to wma/asf, jpg, exe, etc. The "file scanners" that operate on these behave pretty well most of the time, but sometimes it's possible that they will come across a "weird" file and run into trouble. I've tested them on many files, but of course there are always minor variations to be found either through a slightly corrupted file, or even just files with unusual characteristics. For instance, until v1.2 there was a problem scanning MP3 files with ID3v2 tags that had numeric genre codes in them, rather than text. This problem would cause 100% idle CPU usage.. annoying but not catastrophic. That problem is fixed now, and has solved a lot of mysteries(!), but there may be others.

If you experience symptoms like that, I can give you a registry setting to change which allows you to spy on what Shareaza is doing, and thus observe what process is causing the problem.