View Single Post
Old June 7th, 2001
Unregistered

Lightbulb List of suggestions, e.g. more JVM info

I have been succesfully using Limewire for several months but the latest version has pushed me to try Bearshare (sorry!). I have the following suggestions and problems:

1. Limewire 1.4b no longer runs for days at a time without crashing. v1.3 could run for weeks! Now, I return from work and find a blank screen because Limewire crashed. This is on a dual-CPU W2K system with only the MS JVM.

2. Register "properly" with the NT/W2K event monitor so that users can track down crash info.

3. Auto-detect the correct IP. I know what I'm doing (I'm Novell and MS certified) but I still have the problem that my ADSL will periodically reset and give me a new dynamic IP. My only indication of a problem is after Limewire has been running for a while and I notice that all my Connections are Outgoing, and few (if any) uploads have succeeded.

4. The GUI on v1.4b is noticeably more sluggish than v1.3 was. I'm pretty sure that nothing else on the system has changed. In particular I like clicking on the column headers to change the sort order on the Search window.

5. So far, the QoS 4-star rating system seems to work but I would still prefer a two-part rating, one showing ping time and/or router hops, the other showing the host's open-slot availability.

6. On Search results, add an icon or Yes/No column to indicate which hosts report browse/web capability.

7. Where does v1.4 give us the ability to allow/disallow browsing of our own systems?

8. Do something to clean-up the Uploads window. I would like an option to Display/Clear failed connections. Or, better yet, only have an option to Display/Clear completed connections and *always* clear failed connections. You could then also have a line of summary info, e.g. Completed=nn, Failed=nn. Finally, you add the detailed hits/requests/downloads info to the Library view per file. (Yes, I got this idea from Bearshare.)

9. Improve the stalled upload detection! I limit my system to 3 simultaneous uploads (so that my ADSL's 128kbps up-speed can fully load 3 modem users), and I frequently discover that one or more of the upload slots is tied up by a 0.0 kbps connection. Is it possible that these are users behind a firewall with an incorrect Forced IP, i.e., they're requesting a Push by my system can't find them?

10. Add an option for Minimum Allowed Upload speed ala IRC. This could allow you to block modem users from tying-up an upload slot trying to get a movie file. (I should be so lucky to get a connection fast enough to share movies!)

11. Detect the correct send-to-IP for Push requests? This would require extending the Gnutella protocol to include "Original IP" for Push requests that are passed through the network. This would be dependent, of course, on the other Gnutella "vendors" cooperating.

12. Add some Java diagnostics, e.g. what JVM maker and version is reported to Limewire? I tried to run Limewire on the Sun JRE 1.3.1 on my office computer (w/NT4) but the Sun Java Log never popped-up so I'm assuming the MS JVM was still handling Limewire.

13. Do you have any suggestions for which JVM is better, faster, more stable, etc?

14. I'm still waiting for help on installing Limewire on my home office Netware server. It has JVM 1.1.6 but I don't understand Java well enough to sort out the error messages I receive. Also, Novell just came out with a JVM 1.2.? update but I assume I'll still have the basic Java-ignorance problem if I try again to install Limewire on Netware.

Thank you! If it's not too presumptuous, please post a reply to acknowledge that you've seen this and that it will be considered.
- Tony