View Single Post
Old July 5th, 2002
Unregistered

Hey, I agree, upgrading from 64meg oto 256 is certainly one of the best things you could have done to increase your pc's performance. I'm just trying to help, and I apologize, "fixated" was a poor choice of words.

I know this is getting away from this thread's topic, but I just want to quantify my earlier post.

Most RAM, if not all RAM will run @ a faster FSB than it is rated. If you have PC100, then the manufacturer guarantees your RAM to run @ 100mhz without errors, BSOD, etc. The CAS rating in layman's terms is how many clock cycles the RAM requires to perform it's READs and WRITEs. CAS3 requires 3 clock cycles, and CAS2 requires 2. So, if you have PC100 CAS3, and in your BIOS manually set it to CAS2, you'll effectively increase your RAM's speed by 30%! WOWIE! Using this method, only your RAM is overclocked.

However, if you overclock by increasing the FSB, you overclock EVERYTHING, the CPU, your modem, sound card, video card, and card in an expansion slot is overclocked. So, you may find that your CPU and RAM will be held back by some other component that is preventing you from oc'ing further.

An excellent site to visit for AMD overclocking is www.forumoc.com and for Inhel, ah hem, I mean Intel is www.hardocp.com.

Have fun, and remember: If it ain't broke, overclock it. :-)