View Single Post
Old June 9th, 2001
Disciple

Mike Peralta is flying high
Default Aaaaaaahaha

You guys kill me - especially unregistered with a little light on his head. Anyways, heres my theory as I have residing as a text file in my shared directories (which you all should do after reading this)

HOW TO GET GNUTELLA TO WORK EVEN IF YOUR ISP HAS BLOCKED PORT 6346

I thought up this little doozy while taking a ****, which is where I usually have all my ideas (Hmmmm....). It sort of relates to the concept of port mapping and the forced IP features you'd need to use in order to get gnutella to work off a proxy.

I'm assuming that you're on high-speed dsl or cable or something, and that your ISP or admin has blocked port 6346 so you can't get on the network. If you're using a dial-up the answer is really simple - go get netzero or something. The steps below are kind of specific to an office type environment, but if you on cable/dsl at home and being restricted you can do the same thing as long as you have another computer hooked up to the LAN and a phone line.

The slightly sad part of this little trick is that somehow, someway, you need to find one other computer on your LAN capable of dialing up an internet connection. The good part about that is that it needs to be only 1 computer dialing any free internet service or whatever doesn't have port 6346 blocked, and that it can be anywhere on your lan as long as you're able to connect to it via your computer on the LAN.

Step 1:

The trick is relatively simple - you're going to use the dial-up computer to be your gnutella host for searches and stuff. You basically dial-up to your free isp, use some kind of keeplive or whatever you want to stay on longer, and run gnutella on it. You can also use the gnutella reflector at clip2 or whatever that website is, if you plan on sharing this trick with more people on your lan and want to keep the network noise down to avoid the admin noticing.

Step 2:

Once a gnutella client or the reflector is running off the dial-up computer, go on over to yours and run up your own client. When it pops up set the incoming connections to disabled and the max connections to 1 just to keep it clean, then in the 'connect to' host field or whatever, enter the IP address of the other computer running gnutella on dial-up. Once you've connected to it you should be able to use the search feature and benefit from all the connections its made.

Step 3:

Once you can search all you need to do is get those direct connections going - ooops, only problem is that port 6346 is blocked - which is why you're reading this. In order to fix that its very very very simple really - go into the 'force ip' section and enter the IP address of the dsl/cable/high speed computer that you're on, and some random port thats not being blocked. Then set the option where it says something like, "port to listen for other hosts on" or just the 'listen port' for you, set it to that port. Whats its doing is telling the gnutella network, "ok even though I'm clearly browsing from that dial-up address, I want you to direct connect to me for transfers to my dsl line at this odd port"

NOTE FOR BROADBANDERS WITH ONLY 1 COMPUTER

I would suggest maybe signing on to a free account like juno, netzero, or bluelight, getting your searches done (set max searches to like 10 so you can get more done in 1 shot)... then disconnecting, signing on to cable/dsl again, and THEN, with your searches still up, use the force ip and 'listen on port' options to route your downloads outside of the port your isp has blocked. This part is just a theory so let me know if it works.

SUMMARY

In a nutshell you're browsing with the unblocked SLOW dial-up, but when its time for the downloads and uploads everyone will come knocking on your dsl line's door...Great part is that they're knocking with a port your ISP hasn't blocked. If this is confusing try it, laugh at your admin or your isp, then figure it out later.

ENJOY!!!!!!!

------ALSO!! If you benefitted from this tutorial please please remember that great things like this can only happen if people try to put back into the community. All it takes is 1 person to think up a sweet new trick or tutorial and upload it to a good website and the whole WORLD gets to benefit from it. All I did was take 30 minutes of my time to share what I've learned and all the poor people who couldn't get this to work before can now enjoy it.. So if you have a trick you can do to some program, or you figured out something that you think others will have a hard time with, open your notepad, type it up, and upload it to a related website or someone you trust to distribute it. You will feel really really good I promise you Also feel free to take this paragraph and add it in to your own tutorial, thereby spreading this message of good-will.

------One final note - A good friend of mine writes alternative music and has his own website where you can download his music, see band pictures, and see upcoming gig dates. If you're into this kind of music head on down to http://www.mikeperalta.com and listen to the stories he has to tell. Its pretty cool.

Ok I'm out - Peace!