View Single Post
Old July 11th, 2002
LimeWire Biz Developer

ajutagir is flying high

Hi... I'm moving this to the downloading problems section

I'm sorry you've been having difficulty using the software. I think that once you get used to the Gnutella network, you'll be happier with the LimeWire software.

Unlike audiogalaxy, LimeWire is not designed to take days or weeks to seek out your files. Since Audiogalaxy was a centralized system, it could track when users were online, and what IP address it used. On the Gnutella network, your client knows only the IP where the computer that had the file was. If that computer signs off, it likely will have a different IP address when it comes back on. Therefore it will be difficult to get the file on a requery.

On the other hand, Gnutella clients, like LimeWire, offer much greater flexibility for file searching. For example, if a download is going slowly, you can just pick another computer to download it from. If none of the hosts that came up in the search are acceptable, you can do a re-search. It never takes me more than 2 or 3 minutes to download a file over LimeWire, compared with several days on Audiogalaxy.

Good Luck,
Avi