View Single Post
Old July 12th, 2002
Apprentice

gorgonzola is flying high

Ok ... actually I am still confused and while we're on this topic I would like to figure out exactly what Limewire is doing when its says various things. I can't find the exact details in the FAQs .... Correct me if I am wrong:

Search (and repeat search) obviously look for files satisfying the search terms. If these files have the same length (and similar but not identical names?) they are "grouped". Clicking download will choose 1(?) of these files. By the way, what does the color coding (red, green) mean exactly? Green is a fast connection? red is ... busy??

Once a file is in the download panel, Limewire attempts to download it (obviously). Usually, however the Connecting to xxx.yyy.zzz.zzz attempt fails, and I then see Requery sent .... So does this mean that Limewire is a) waiting to to attempt the download the same host xxx.yyy.zzz.zzz or b) is performing a new search across the Gnutella network for any host with a file matching exactly the requested filename? I had thought it was (a) but ajutagir's comments imply (b) ....

If you click Repeat search and a new host is found with a filename that matches the one that is stuck in the Requery ... loop, does that automatically break the loop and start downloading from the newly-found host? It seems so....