View Single Post
Old July 14th, 2002
Phlox Sniffer

KathW is flying high

Here's my long-winded answer

First, let’s get this thorny question straight…. The ‘library’ is not a folder that actually exists in the Limewire program.

I’ve heard the Library referred to as a 'file manager', but I prefer to call it a mirror of the files you have on your hard drive, but if you delete files from the 'Library' it will delete them from your hard drive,

The default for Saving & Sharing your files is C:\Program Files\Limewire\Shared. If you haven’t changed any settings your files should automatically be downloaded to this location. If you’re new to this program, leave the settings as they are until you become more familiar with it’s workings and then you can change things later to suit yourself.

If on the other hand, if you’ve just installed a newer version of Limewire, it can appear that your previous files are gone from your ‘Library’. This is due to the new installation creating new Sharing and Incomplete folders within your new Limewire folder. The ‘Library’ then appears to be empty… well I suppose it is, because you have your new Limwire pointing to the new empty folders and not the old ones still in the original folder you had before. Am I making any sense…? (some would say no at this point)

So you have to tell Limewire where your old files are stored so they will show up in the library.

You can find your old files by ‘Searching’ using Start>Find etc. whatever method you prefer, maybe some unique file name that you know you had… When you find this location, the problem should be solved, you can see the location of the files, write it down if your not sure to remember. All you need to do now is point Limewire to this folder, like this…

Tools>Options>Shared. You should get a window telling you the full path where Limewire is sharing files from. If you click the ADD button you can browse for the folder you want to share (most likely the place you have your old files in). Don’t double click it, just highlight the folder name and hit select. Now your files should show up in your ‘Library’.

The same applies to the Saving folder..Tools>Options>Saving.. browse for the folder you want your files to be downloaded to. I always have Sharing and Saving pointing to the same folder, then I don’t get confused

On the other hand, if you share your download, someone could upload a bad file before you get time to check it

Hope this helps