View Single Post
Old June 10th, 2001
Novicius

aaron.winborn is flying high
Lightbulb

>> Another question I have is about the "Allow incoming" tickbox on the "Hosts" page.

>> I thought that by unticking this I would give no uploads?
>> AND - why is it that when I allow incoming, the available hosts shrink from 4 to 2(if 4 is what I have entered to "keep up")?

I believe that "Incoming hosts" are people's clients who find your computer as a host to hook up to. If you have the checkbox marked, it allows other computers to hook up to yours, assuming you have enough free slots open. For the same reason, it will keep half your initial slots open, thus the 4/2 dilemma.

I might be wrong about this, but if it works the way I think it does, I believe it's generally a good thing for the whole of gnutella to keep slots open for Incoming hosts. Thus, with everyone doing this, when you try to connect to the network, there's a place for your computer.

As far as limiting uploads, those options for Gnotella 0.9.9 are on the second button, the "Up" or "Upload" button, depending on the skin you use. There are three variables on that page: Max # of uploads, Max # per person, and Max Upload speed. The docs should be helpful in understanding how they work. Myself, since I only have a 56k connection, I only allow 1 upload, and limit the speed for it when I'm downloading. I try to remember to bring it back up when I'm not. (It might be nice for a future version to allow different speeds when you're not downloading, for those who care.)

- Aaron