View Single Post
Old July 17th, 2002
Gnutella Veteran

bad_vlad is flying high
Default explaining slippery ultrapeers: not surrendering quite yet

Quote:
Originally posted by Krieger88
The higher ultrapeer volatility is a result of the ConnectionWatchdog function LimeWire has. If you don't receive any messages from a connection for twenty seconds or so, it is kicked. LimeWire does so, to identify bad hosts quickly. It has the interesting side effect that your ultrapeer connections seem to be kicked a lot more often if you are sharing no files.
OK - the connection Watchdog function is sensible and smart - but - riddle me this - in LW I have more than 800 files available for sharing and it'd be a rare moment that the available upload slots weren't fully occupied which would seem to reduce ultrapeer volatility - conversly - in shareaza I chose not to be an ultrapeer (56k dial up connection), lots of my shared files were greyed out for some reason, and because I'd only just connected I was designated a 'doubtful' host because there was no record of any uploads which would seem to increase ultrapeer volatility - and yet - I still got far more stable ultrapeer connections that included BS and (crucially) they 'worked' -- is it that the 20 secs in LW is problematic or that the shareaza monitoring that allows for 'lulls' is better in practice - whatever - the end result is that shareaza threatens to threaten the dominance of LW I reckon

Cheers, bad_vlad