View Single Post
Old July 19th, 2002
Gnutella Admirer

Gratis is flying high

no.

ISPs are required to cancel users' accounts if the ISP is aware of illegal piracy (can't remember the particular law). However, if the user is not technically breaking any law (I assume most people are not downloading more than $1000 of MP3s or even software in six months), I don't see how the ISP can legally send Cease and Desist letters.

My first question really is: Under the current legislation in the U.S. it appears that downloading/uploading less thatn $1,000 of material is legal. Is this accurate?

If so, how is any action to prevent this legal piracy actually legal?

Also, unless the music/movie industries are tracking the actual dollar value of downloaded/uploaded files for each individual, their attempts to hinder all piracy (by spoofing, spamming, etc.) seem to amount to digital vandalism or harrassment.

My second question is: Is the "$1,000" amount the value of the total of all pirated copyrighted material, the value of a single copyright, or the value of a single copyright holder?

To clarify: Is it illegal to download/upload $1,000 worth of MP3s by different artists, $1,000 worth of the same song, or $1,000 worth of MP3's by the same artist?