View Single Post
Old June 12th, 2001
Phex Developer

GregorK is flying high
Default Re: PHEX 5.0

Quote:
It is not the speed of my computer (300MHz), nor my RAM (64MB), with no other progs. running. Or shouldn't be.
Be aware that Phex can easily use up to 40MB RAM. Then there is not much left for the system. This can be a critical system configuration.

Quote:
In a short while I had about 160K going in and 800K going
out!
This doesn't sound unusual. Other clients are sending search requests to you. They are quite small. Your Phex is returning the search results found in your shared files. Since the search engine is now working right in Phex 0.5 it really finds more files and returns this data wich is much more outgoing then incomming. All you can do is reduce the network speed but this is also only making sense if you like to use your connection for other things then Phex.

Quote:
The 'Bytes/Sec' display in the Settings window is also totally upset with outgoing data. It should only display incoming data, but seems to display both, cause it is way to high. Showing >6000bytes/sec, when it is only about 1200 coming in.
True... this is still from Furi the original client where Phex is based on... sorry we can't do everything at once.

Quote:
There is on and off blinking hosts in host catcher, the blue line jumping up and down, worse even, when I manually select a number of them and hit 'connect'.
I also like this jumping blue line. Maybe in one of the next release it will be gone and the host catcher removed. I already have some code for it prepared...

Quote:
I will try other versions of PHEX in the future, and hope I still can use them with my present Wi***, 300MHz, 64MB RAM, cause I think it has great potential.
We always have to make a tradeoff between performance, functionality and memory size. Currently memory is the most cheapest resource and most of the time we will go for functionality and performance on the cost of memory. But actually on the 0.5 release we were able to find many memory holes and fixed them. Phex is running at stable memory for days...

Thanks for your feedback. It's always welcome.