Thread: New p2p idea
View Single Post
Old July 24th, 2002
Novicius

vshao is flying high

It'll be an ambitious project to be sure. Potentially some jerryrigging needs to be done to the 802.11 firmware as well, as I believe there is a limitation to the number of nodes communicating in an " 802.11 ad-hoc" mode. As for reliability - i would say it's one of the huge benefits of p2p. The destination node would receive multiple data packets from different sources along the route, compiled together upon receiving. The duplicity of the network ensures reliability. It's just like how the internet works - with routers all over the place. When one fails, another route can easily be found.

I see a huge potential for this project. I see companies like Spectralink, Avaya as being the customers for this software project. In fact the it's a tremendous value proposition to the end consumers. Instead of a 1 year commitment at $40 or whatever a month, the consumer buys this device and gets free communication FOR LIFE, 24 / 7.

The biggest challenge will be getting a critical mass of the devices spread out over an area for a trial.