Old June 13th, 2001
Gnutella Veteran

SRL is flying high
Default Re: Nature of the Beast???

Quote:
Originally posted by VaShooter
Being new here like to say hello...
I do have some questions:
1) is it normal for u/L speed to be higher then D/L speed??
I have set U/L to 1 and 1 per person with speed capped at 12KB, but still my D/L seems to be lagging. I can start a D/L at great speeds up to 60KB`s at times only to have it degrade to 10-12KB`s. Is this because of increased usage though the host? Even when I show 80-120 KB`S avialibe on the host screen with all the host only using 10-20KB`S my D/L`s will still be in the teens to low 20`s.

Unfortunately, this is common. It's not really anything to do with Gnutella net, but is mainly because a few of the more popular peers (*cough* bearshare *cough*) default to WAY too many upload slots (at one point over TEN) and most users don't know enough to change this.

2)This is on the @Home network with the registry hacked for more speed, 300-350 D/L speed on a good site. Will disconnecting from the host after a D/L has started help or hinder??

If you mean disconnect from the "network" on the first tab, yes it can help download speed a bit. Actually it helps more on Gnotella that it really should, since Gnotella really slows down processing searches when sharing lots of files.

3) I am currently sharing close to 2 gig`s, would share more but my 2nd hardDrive is setup for the share, and it`s YEP you guessed it only a 2gigger...I have noticed that once connected I will have close to 100 hits a min, trying to D/L from me, Are all these hits slowing my D/L down???

Probably a bit, but as long as you have some upstream bandwidth left you'll usually be ok. When I start to get too many download attempts I'll disconnect form the network. Those already trying can still download (if you're not behind a firewall), but it'll no longer respond to searches. Often I can que up enough requests to last the entire night in less than a hour.

One neat feature of Gnucleus (another good gnet peer), is it can optionally stop responding to searches when the upload slots are full.

4)I have recieved this "error message " the last 2 D/L`s usually about mid way " Sock_error Event:InvalidKey 35603. As far as I can see it hasn`t affected the D/L, the movie quality was ok, just don`t know what it means????
I have tried alot of the other programs, BUT I like Gnotella the best. I can set for a speed I want search scroll til I see a file that says avial. click on it and most times it will connect right up and start D/L`ing.

Seems this is a common Gnotella bug - often happens to me too.
ins to the use of Gnotella.. [/B]