Thread: Gnutella newbee
View Single Post
Old July 30th, 2002
Gnutella Jewel

sanelson is flying high

Quote:
Originally posted by Joakim Agren

Hello!

Believe me Gnutella is by far the biggest P2P network around without any competition atleats user wise.

Here are the stats:

Gnutella:117 million users worldwide(Morpheus client by far dominating with a user base of 90millions)
Kazaa and other Fast Track clients:81million users worldwide
AudioGalaxy:30 million users worlwide(Now however AG is to be considered discontinued or out of business)
Imesh: (own system with centralised servers):27 million Users Worlwide
Win MX(combination of Napster technology and P2P:3 million users Worldwide
Direct Connect: (Despite the fact that it is the smallest network it due to the content type of many large movies has the largest amount of data available even more then on Gnutella totally 1petaByte of data available:500000 users Worlwide
Those stats sound way off. That sounds more like the number of downloads of each of the clients (which include people who download the client and never run it or delete it soon after, people who normally run another client, and then switch over to the other networks from time to time to try to find something else, people who switch from one gnutella client to another, and even various upgrades), not the actual number of users. And your last post seems to back that assumption up.
Quote:
Originally posted by Joakim Agren
... and also asked around on various download sites and also they got info from some various client developers...
I can believe that there have been more Gnutella clients downloaded than clients for any other network, but I don't believe that Gnutella is the largest network... not even close... not yet anyway!

P.S.
Also, the download statistics for Morpheus include the downloads of the original Morpheus while it was still on the FastTrack network.

Last edited by sanelson; July 30th, 2002 at 12:51 AM.