View Single Post
Old August 1st, 2002
Connoisseur

Krieger88 is flying high

Quote:
Originally posted by Joakim Agren

I think it is pretty volatile I personally have never stayed in touch with one single Ultrapeer for longer then 15 minutes maximum so using the spynode approach to catch individual big sharers will probably take them atleast a couple of weeks to gather enough Query Hit messages like lets say a couple of thousand of them(so they have to spend alot of $$$$).
The spynode doesn't have to be connected to you directly. It can be anywhere up to seven hops away from you. Since your servent emits queryhits in all possible directions, they probably won't need weeks but days or even just hours. Even 15 Minutes could be enough if it is connected to you directly.

Next version of LimeWire will add information in the library table how often you sent a query hit for each file you share. Then you can see for yourself how aggressively you are advertising your shares to the network.

Quote:
And yes you are correct each servent do have a unique servent ID but I am not exactly sure if that ID is a steady one or if it changes everytime you restart your client using the Microsoft GUID system.
LimeWire's servent ID is steady. It's saved in the limewire.props file. I believe most servents keep their ID.

Quote:
Yes the QueryHits is probably evidence enough these days since the introduction of the 0.6 Gnutella protocol and its implimentation of the Bearshare extended QueryHit message that also contains a trailer message with amongst other things a flag indicating how many uploads from a servent that has been succesfull.
The flag is a boolean value and indicates if there have been any successful uploads at all.