View Single Post
Old August 8th, 2002
Novicius

Brennan Donnellan is flying high
Unhappy Airport, Limewire, Port Mapped, No Uploads

I have a cable modem connection via Airport connected to my Powerbook G3. The Airport IP address is dynamically assigned by my ISP, but it rarely changes. The Airport assigns an IP number of 10.0.1.2 to my Powerbook.

For several months, I was able to connect reliably using Limewire, downloading numerous files and sharing my nearly 600 mp3 files. I used port mapping in the Airport Admin Utility to route traffic on port 6346 to my private IP address of 10.0.1.2 and I set "Force IP" in Limewire to 10.0.1.2 on port 6346. Everything worked great.

Suddenly, over the past two or three weeks, my connection has become unreliable. I can search and download as before, but I haven't completed a single upload. Whereas I used to set the machine for sharing and leave it on all day and night, now the Powerbook goes to sleep. This probably means Limewire isn't maintaining a network connection to keep the computer awake.

Even when the machine is awake, there are very few uploads, whereas before I had dozens or even hundreds.

I have recently upgraded to Limewire 2.5.x, and that may have been when the problems started. But I also upgraded to Airport 2.0.4 and upgraded to OS 10.1.5.

I have examined every network setting and can't seem to identify the problem.

Has anyone else had problems with these upgrades? Any suggestions? I have much more interest in sharing my files than in downloading more and I'd really like to contribute to the Gnutella network.

Thanks,

Brennan