View Single Post
Old August 15th, 2002
Hermann Auer

Default severe transfer obstructions

Sorry, some of my original text was lost. Therefor, once more:

I had posted this problem (it's really severe!) already at 07-09-2002 under the title "slowing down uploads until deadlock" but nobody seemed to recognize the severity.

Some clients slow down their transfer speed to zero and stay there, blocking other users.

I know, this behaviour is probably not a problem of the Limewire client, but the client could solve this severe problem.

The effect of this behaviour is that after a view hours, if I let run the Limewire client in the background, 16 of my 20 open channels are blocked by 8 users who have this problem. The remaining 4 transfers are constricted by 16 ineffective channels which do not really upload but stay still in the upload status. The effect is that, after a view hours, only 20 % of my valuable transfer volume can be used, 80 % are blocked by sick clients.

Unfortunately I could not find out which client is used by the hindering users because it never happened that one of them has enabled his chat function (maybe it is a client without chat function).

As a workaround I propose that the client does the same what I did by hand when I saw that this problem occurred: Watch the upload speed, and if it gets exactly zero and stays zero a given time (a few minutes), then kill this upload!

I hope you can recognize that this is a severe problem of the gnutella network activated by any unknown client type, maybe two or three months ago.

Regards
Hermann