View Single Post
Old June 20th, 2001
anti-bearshare

Quote:
Originally posted by CycloCide

Keep in mind that I'm not defending Vinnie or BearShare here; I'm just stating the facts.

In response to your site, specifically reason number 6:

That html page you described (http://home.bearshare.com/) doesn't load (click) every minute. It only loads when you start BearShare.
That is why I said Imagine....My intent on that comment was not really for Vinnie making the money. Because apparently no one wants to invest into Vinnie's awesome company. With the intergration of adware, spyware, html banners, etc. Gnutella will become commericalized. No one wants thats. I ****ing hate ads myself. Also with ads there are privacy issues. Such as cookies and other things that ultimately lead to companies tracking your web usage. That is a fact. I dont like that either. Neither should you.

[QUOTE]
The ads on that page are being served by <a href="http://www.fastclick.com/">FastClick</a>. I'm familiar with FastClick because we use them for our sites. They pay CPM for pop-unders and either CPM or CPC for 468x60 banner ads, but they only pay for unique users. So using your example, if 10,000 unique users load that page, Vinnie receives 10 * CPM/CPC rate, which is just a small fraction of what you calculated.
[QUOTE]
Same as above.

Quote:

Vinnie initially bundled those so-called "spyware" applications with BearShare to generate revenue. A lot of people complained so he made installing them optional in version 2.2.4, and integrated a web browser instead. Now you're complaining about the web browser? Developing BearShare is expensive, distributing it is expensive, and supporting it is expensive. Money doesn't grow on trees and Vinnie doesn't have backing from a company with a lot of resources like Gnotella and LimeWire do. So how do you expect Vinnie to generate revenue from BearShare if he doesn't bundle those applications or integrate a web browser?
Sell drugs (joke if anyone didnt notice). I'll have to say same as above.

Cyclocide thank you for letting my posts stay and me expressing my thoughts about a certain subject. Thank you.