View Single Post
Old June 20th, 2001
Moak

I don't get "01. The name BearShare."
What the hell is "CareBears", I'm no US citizen. I like the name and the logo.

I don't get "08. Exploit (vulnerability)". There has been one tiny security bug in the V2.2.2 webserver (the "..\" bug), but it's fixed.
Software never will be 100% bug free, nerver. Could'nt someone cool sing a song about software living in a world of bugs.

I don't get "04. Vincent and Michael's top skill is "graphic design". Bearshare and the logo does look cool and it's easy to use. Okay it should be named Bershare 0.9, because lots of basic things are missing, like hotkeys, tool tips, storing windows size... etc. With a working resume and chat I'll accept 1.x.... with working client/server defneder model I'll accept 2.x. However version maniac is normal in the windows world.

You do forget to list the proprtitary and undocumented QueryHit datastructure which only Bearshare uses. Vinnie says it's top secret. Microsoft isn't a good teacher....

You do forget the stupid client civil war between Limewire and Bearshare and they slow down the further development of the gnutella protocol. Blame both. Swarmcast and others seems to develop an alternative P2P technique.

You do forget to mention memory leaks in bearshare. Or can someone explain why I have to reboot the computer after running Bearshare for hours. I did upgrade to 256MB Ram, actually I still have to reboot after one night of download....

You do forget that hostcaches in Bearshare are hardcoded and therfore can't be changed. Funny when you see that limewire.com is one of them.

You do forget that Free Peers Inc does not build up annother host cache. Bearshare is the most poular and far the most used gnuteall servant... shouldn't they take resposibility and help the community with another host cache. Maybe it's a money problem... how can limewire.com afford to pay the bill for all?

HEY... I'm a Bearshare fan... I could also list the same amount of Bearshare advantages! Yeah and to name only one: I prefer to use bearshare, IMHO it's the best client right now.

Thx Vinnie for that cool and free servant... I honestly hope you find a business solution, without buggy spyware installer or home tabs or something to make the users driving crazy. Shareware? Maybe to dangerous... we all know how fast we get the first crack or serial creater.... sorry I have no answer... but I think Bearshit IS funny, even for a Bearshare fan!