View Single Post
Old June 20th, 2001
Administrator

CycloCide is flying high

Since you keep promoting your site here, I'll go through your reasons one-by-one. Before I was stating the facts, now I'm stating my opinion.

Quote:
01. The name BearShare. Reminds me of the CareBears.
What about the name? Is it any less original than the names of the other Gnutella clients?

Quote:
02. Vincent Falco.
Quote:
03. Michael Cardenas.
What about them? You don't even know Michael.

Quote:
04. Vincent and Michael's top skill is "graphic design". Atleast Michael went to school for that. BearShare has a really kick *** logo doesn't it?
BearShare's web site and logo look fine to me. Unlike Gnotella and LimeWire, Vinnie doesn't have the financial resources to hire a web designer.

Quote:
05. Spyware. I am aware you have a choice to install it or not. It shouldn't be there in the first place. I'm assuming its for new users who really don't know any better.
Quote:
06. Adware. BearShare 2.2.4 has html viewing built into the client (html banners). I have nothing against making money. I do however have a problem with invasion of privacy (monitoring). With the intergration of adware, spyware, html banners, etc. Gnutella will become commericalized. No one wants thats. I ****ing hate ads. Everyone should know they're privacy issues with ads. Such as cookies and other things that ultimately lead to companies tracking your web usage. That is a fact.
They generate revenue. Why don't you come up with a better solution?

Quote:
07. Encrypted packets. Like I said before it shouldn't be there in the first place. I dont see other client's sending encrypted information through the network.
Vinnie already explained what the encrypted packets are for.

Quote:
08. Exploit (vulnerability). I wonder why BearShare has been the first client to be exploited. Maybe its because of Vinnie and Michael's top skill. No....I mean their "programming skill".
Or maybe it's because more people use BearShare than any other Gnutella client and some of those people were pissed off at Vinnie/BearShare so they deliberately tried to find an exploit. All programs have bugs.

Quote:
09. It only runs on Windows. Only the shittest OS in the world.
What's your point? Yes, Windows 95/98/ME are shitty; Windows NT/2000/Whistler aren't.

In case you haven't noticed, Gnotella, Gnucleus, Newtella, and ToadNode are Windows specific too.

Quote:
10. Accept incoming hosts (checkbox). Most new users will un-check the box thinking it "wastes" bandwidth. Which then makes the network become segmented and congested.
Maybe, but other people uncheck it because their provider doesn't allow incoming connections to servers. I'm one of those people.

Quote:
11. Unorganized search results. No filtering of results such as file type. No type of grouping for multiple results.
Which clients do this?

Quote:
12. Vincent got my damn BearShare fan site shut down. Would you be more happy if I linked to BearShare.com. So you can make some of that money?
That's because you violated your provider's TOS. You're still infringing on BearShare's copyright by using their trademarked logo.