View Single Post
Old August 22nd, 2002
Apprentice

Snover is flying high
Exclamation Irritating [system,other] problems

I'm uncertain what is causing this problem, but for some reason, when I'm fully-connected on Gnucleus, my system freezes up for a few ticks every clock cycle. This makes it irritating to be on Gnutella for long periods of time because I have to click on things two or three times to get them to work.

A second problem I have has just popped up recently: on some of the download windows, I need to click on the "sort" buttons at the top (name, size, hosts, etc) to get the "Displaying # of # files" to show up, and sometimes in order to get those numbers to update, I have to click on its line.

A third problem I have is that whenever I finish downloading a new file, Gnucleus RE-parses ALL of my shared files instead of JUST adding the new file to the database. This causes my system resources to shoot up to 100% for however long it takes for Gnucleus to re-parse all my shared files.

The fourth problem I have is simply that Gnucleus doesn't seem to get as much "good" connectivity as some of the other Gnutella clients out there (BearShare, LimeWire are the two other clients I've used in the past). gWebCache improves this slightly, but for the most part, connections just don't seem to be as good.

The final problem I have is that, while Gnucleus advertises that its searches are "continuous," I find that many times RESTARTING a search yields new results. I can't "Re-search" since that option has been eliminated, which means that I need to close and re-open a search window every time.

One last suggestion: Since clients such as BearShare (I think Morpheus does as well) have options to "disable" sending to other clients, would it be a possibility to have the option to "fake client name" to clients that are disallowing file transfers to others? It seems underhanded, I know, but isn't it underhanded to prevent the free flow of information over a free network in the first place??