Thread: Code it again!!
View Single Post
Old August 30th, 2002
Unregistered

Thumbs down to follow it up..

I liked Limewire for it's ease of use..
I didn't like the part about the spyware and the
freezing and of the lack of ability to resume (it does a couple of times a day, but that counts as maybe 10% of the times), but what REALLY-REALLY-REALLY annoys me:

Limewire-nodes counts as about 10% of the network, maybe less. Roughly 50% of the users use Morpheus. The guys using Limewire are almost exclusivly the worst sharers (that's my not very solidly based assumption). *Limewire "prefers" other limewire-nodes. That makes the limewire-"community" a subculture on the gnutella network. If you are lucky enough to get a morpheus node on your connections-list, you will see that it (usually) has a tenfold as many hosts attached to it countary to the limewire peers.

Maybe that is a feature you should remove (??)
Think of it guys! If all the limewire nodes just prefers themselves, the limewire community (as small as it is) will come to be a subculture, thus sharing files with everybody but just getting hits from themselves. The only time you get real results, is when you find a morpheus supernode with 1000 hosts or something like that.

I recently tried qtella on my linux system and my hits quadruppled on the long-hard-to-find-ones and
increased with a 40-50 fold on the generic searches.... Then I suddenly realized how crappy limewire really is. It's nice in consept and theory but it just don't scale up as a c++ client will.

Sorry, limewire-team. You've done an amazing job, but I'm afraid my limewire client will remain a silly toy for my win32 system. the thought of buying your program, honestly never crossed my mind, but as time goes by, that offer seems somewhat stupid to me.